Skip to main content

History - page under construction

Built in 1910 by HL Johnson, the Alleghany Water Works was privately owned until 1939. 

The District was incorporated as a County Water District on March 8, 1939. At that time Alleghany had approximately 500 residents. The 1970 census recorded 125 residents and  both the 2010 and the 2020 census' recorded 58 residents, representing the first ten-year span without a  decrease in population! 


Chinatown, Alleghany early 1900s
Chinatown Alleghany.  Note the water tank  on the hill. This redwood tank along with another was installed by HL Johnson in 1910 and was in service until 1977 at which time a welded steel tank was erected. A new bolted steel tank was put into service on November 28th, 2018.


Winter 1952 Men repairing water main.
1952 Digging for a frozen water pipe under main street  (garage in background is located across from the present day museum). Left to right: Dick Middaugh, Red Corbin, Don Dickey, Hank Haugen, Little Mike Sbaffi (hard to see child leaning against sled with head down), Mike Pasco, Joe Sbaffi and Martin Rohrig.